I been messing around with getting a random word generator working and got it sorta going (the original word generator is over here at Oh The Huge Manatee) and was totally sidetracked by grabbing random URLs from Google.
The random URL generators were out there, but most are non-functional, so I did one up myself. It’s called Happenstance and it takes a word (or series of words) you enter, and searches Google for those words.
Of the 64 results you can get with the Google API, I randomly grab a URL and give it to you.
Out of that URL web contents, I grab all the words I can, make a unique list of them, and grab some random words off of that (up to 6 or so). I then let you hit a button and search for those words on Google, and the cycle repeats (bring up a URL, grab words, search).
It’s still a little buggy, but it seems to work. At least it’s ditching out PDFs for the unwary and I have a Not Safe For Work button and a panic button if you cannot unsee what you have seen.